Originally established in the late 1940s by the late Dr. Anton Rupert as a tobacco manufacturer, Remgro Limited (“Remgro”) expanded its interests with investments in a number of other industries in South Africa, including food, liquor and home care; banking; healthcare; insurance; industrial; infrastructure, as well as media and sport. The company underwent a number of changes over the years as it grew, which resulted in three flagship companies being created all of which are currently under the chairmanship of Johann Rupert, namely:
- Remgro Limited, an investment holding company, which is one of the Top 40 companies listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (“JSE”), and has a diversified investment portfolio;
- Compagnie Financière Richemont AG (“Richemont”), listed in Geneva and on the JSE. Richemont is an international luxury goods group, which owns brands such as Cartier, Dunhill, Van Cleef & Arpels, Piaget, Jaeger-LeCoultre, IWC and Mont Blanc; and
- Reinet Investments S.C.A. (“Reinet”), listed in Luxembourg and on the JSE. Reinet is a closed-end, specialised investment fund. Key investments include British American Tobacco and Pension Insurance Corporation LLP.
More information on these three companies can be found on their websites.
Remgro’s current market capitalisation is about USD13 billion and has provided a return to its shareholders of 19% per annum in USD over the last 50 years.
Remgro currently has more than 30 investee companies in its portfolio. The key entities are:
- RMI Holdings, an insurance-focused investment company which houses investments in entities like MMI Holdings, Discovery and OUTsurance.
- FirstRand Limited, which provides banking and insurance products and services to retail, commercial, corporate and public sector customers in South Africa as well as in several other African countries.
- Mediclinic International, which provides comprehensive, high-quality hospital services on a cost-effective basis in Southern Africa, the United Arab Emirates and Switzerland.
- Unilever South Africa manufacturers and markets an extensive range of food and home and personal care products, while enjoying market leadership in most of it major categories. Well-known brands include Robertsons, Rama, Flora, Lipton, Joko, Sunlight, Omo, Surf, Vaseline and Lux.
- Distell, which produces and markets fine wines, spirits and flavoured alcoholic beverages in South Africa and internationally.
- Grindrod, which specialises in moving dry and liquid bulk commodities, containerised cargo and vehicles by road, rail, sea and air, providing specialised services on route, and is a global business represented in more than 25 countries.
- RCL Foods is a holding company with interests in diversified food businesses, which include Rainbow Chicken, Foodcorp, TSB Sugar and Zam Chick, as well as integrated logistics operations through Vector Logistics.
- Wispeco, which manufactures and distributes extruded aluminium profiles used mainly in the building, engineering and durable goods sectors.
- Total SA, which refines and markets petroleum and petroleum products in South Africa, with distribution to neighbouring countries.
- Air Products, which produces oxygen, nitrogen, argon, hydrogen and carbon dioxide for sale in gaseous form by pipeline under long-term contracts to major industrial users, also distributes industrial gases and chemicals for sale, together with ancillary equipment, to the merchant market.
- Sabido, which holds a range of media interests, the most significant of which is e.tv, the only independent free-to-air television broadcaster in South Africa.
- CIV Group, the holding company of Dark Fibre Africa, builds, owns, maintains and monitors infrastructure suitable to carry services such as fibre-optic networks.
- SEACOM, which provides high-capacity international fibre-optic bandwidth for Southern and East Africa.